Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Five Awesome Things from 2008.

I'm limiting myself to just five things -- because I know your attention span doesn't stretch to ten things.

And these are just the things that made 2008 memorable for me. Whether that's movies, TV, music or other junk. I suppose you could easily fill this list with things Obama related because. That, however, would be a little too easy.

1) Awesome Video Game: Dead Space



I'm only three chapters in and it's literally the scariest video game I've ever played. The monsters are freakish. The atmosphere is like a perfect distillation of all the atmosphere space monster movies ever: Aliens, Alien, The Thing, etc. The voice acting is solid and the method in which they lay out exposition never makes it feel like exposition. The only unawesome thing? I'm out of freakin' ammo and I don't have enough money to buy all the ammo I need! Wait? Did you hear that? I think my exclaimation point attracted them. They're moving in the ventilation you know...I'll call back later, when it's safe.

2) Awesome Album, from 2005, The El Michels Affair.

I'm way late to the game on this one but I listened to this album more than anything else this year. It's like an album full of lost soul-funk grooves from the 60's and 70's. Vintage, contemporary, and absolutely essential listening.



Check out some samples here.

These guys are apparently working on an album of Wu-Tang instrumental covers. Need to work a little faster though guys.

3) Pete and Peggy's Scene in the Mad Men Finale.

Mad Men is full of awesome moments. But this one caps them all for me.

And it's just absolutely heartbreaking. This scene has stayed with me for months. TV is rarely this good.



4) The Trailer for Doomsday.

Wow. This trailer kicked an amazing amount of ass. It had everything you could possibly want.

Too bad they actually had to make the movie, which was a pretty big let down.



5) "Wild card, bitches!" from It's Always Sunny...

Man, I loved this bit. Charlie finally determines his role in the group's dynamic.

No comments: